Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ironman World Championship

Life has been crazy busy with all of the wonderful lectures, activities, praise times, etc. So, I have a bit of catching up to do.

Saturday the 10th of October was the World Championship Iron Man Triathlon here in Kona. Our school had the incredible opportunity to volunteer at this huge event. Our shift was the end of the race, which left my schedule free to watch the start of the race bright and early at 6:45am.


For those of you who are unfamiliar with the race, here is a blip from the official race website:
To get to the starting line in Kona, you must either be very lucky and get yourself a spot through the lottery, or very talented, and win yourself a qualifying spot at one of the qualifying events held around the world.

Tens-of-thousands of triathletes try to get one of those coveted Ironman spots every year. Only 1,800 succeeded.

That means 1,800 "lucky" people get to test themselves on one of the biggest challenges the sports world has to offer ... 2.4-miles of swimming, 112-miles of biking, and a 26.2-mile marathon run through tough ocean waves, and challenging lava-covered terrain.

Our volunteer shift was at the end of the race - from 7pm till Midnight. I was hoping to be assigned to "security" using the term very loosely near the finish line. I love cheering people on, so I thought that would be the best place for me. Unfortunately, I volunteered for a different "security" assignment.

I was stationed after the finish line just outside the area where the athletes came to pick up their bike, swim equipment, and other race gear. The first couple of the hours were not very fun for me. I was a human traffic light telling athletes and their families a variety of instructions.
"Keep moving. Pick up gear straight ahead. Exit the way the bike race started. Blah Blah Blah."

I was rescued at one point when another security volunteer asked me to help me one particular athlete who didn't have any family here with her. My mission was to help her get on her shuttle back to her hotel. Thinking this was a simple 5 minute task I wandered from my traffic light position with my new Ironman friend.

The woman I was helping was 21 year old Battig Rahel from the German part of Switzerland. She was here in Kona with another friend who also competed in the race. Battig finished the triathlon in 13 hours 15 minutes and 40 seconds and when I met her, she was entirely exhausted and deservedly desiring a shower and her bed.

The five minute expected walk turned into a much bigger adventure. It turned out there was not a shuttle from her hotel, so we would have to walk to the town's shuttle which was over a half a mile away. I welcomed the exercise, but my heart went out to Battig who put far too many miles on her legs that day and was now asked to keep going.

A slow walk through hordes of fans still watching athletes cross the finish line eventually brought us to the shuttle. Another road block in the plan. Shuttle policy says no bikes on the bus. Well, I thought a simple solution would be to call a taxi for my new friend. I could tell she would not think twice about paying for a ride if it meant she could be in bed sooner. Well... the taxis were all booked for the night.

The shuttle driver motioned to another athlete on his bike a few yards away and explained to me that he was riding his bike past Battig's hotel a couple miles down the road. I could ride with him and Battig could take the shuttle and we'd meet at her hotel. Inside I was jumping for joy - I could ride an Ironman's bike! However, knowing how my ultra-athlete friends can be about their equipment, I didn't want to expect Battig to allow me to ride her bike, especially because it was dark by this point and she didn't have a light. I shared that I wouldn't mind riding her bike and she was incredibly grateful that I would even consider helping her. She already felt overwhelmed that I carried her bags and walked with her to the shuttle.

So, as Battig climbed into the shuttle to finally sit and relax, I mounted the best bike I may ever ride in my life. As I was pedaling with incredible ease, I wished her hotel was 10 miles instead of only 2 miles away. My "chauffeur" and I chatted as we rode down the street.

God totally blessed me by giving me the chance to help Battig. I enjoy one-on-one interactions and small groups much more than large masses of people. It was incredible standing in as her support system even just to carry her bags and help her get back to her hotel after an incredible day of swimming, riding and running in the Hawaiian heat. WOW God. Thank You!

Bravo to all the athletes who work so hard to make it to the race whether they cross the finish line or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment