Thursday, April 29, 2010

Getting ready to head back to the States

I got my return tickets back to the states two days ago. I can’t believe I will be going home in two short weeks. I am very excited to see all my family and friends again. I’ve had several dreams recently about being back in CO, so it will be nice to be there in reality. I am realizing that I am going to miss Rwanda. For nearly a month after the team left in March, I really didn’t enjoy my time here. I was very homesick and lonely. I found things to busy myself with, but life just wasn’t fun.

God helped me through that time, and now the sun shines brighter. He has given me a new appreciation for Rwanda, the people here, and my everyday experiences. Just in the last two weeks, I have made two new friends – one from Canada and the other from Rwanda. I have had wonderful conversations with both of these new friends! It has been so nice to have people with whom I can openly communicate. :) Hanging out with them has also gotten me out of the house and into new places.

My relationships with the students in our photography classes are also growing. A couple of days ago we had such a wonderful time of laughter together! I taught them how to use the self-timer on their cameras, so we made a game out of it. Set the timer and everyone has to run across the room to sit on the couch before the picture is taken! I haven’t told them yet, but during the game, I had the video recording on my camera. :) It will be so fun to watch the video clip together and laugh all over again.


A few weeks ago I really struggled to think about what I would miss when I left Rwanda. But God has been working on my heart and I realize there are many things I will miss and many people too.


I will post a farewell Rwanda message in the next couple of weeks (complete with pics from my sister's visit).

No comments:

Post a Comment